
Last Christmas my siblings wrote letters of tribute to my Mom and enclosed it in a nice book. We knew it would be our last Christmas with Mom and we thought she would enjoy this gift more than anything else we could think of. This gave me an opportunity to do my best to put my love and admiration for my Mom in words. At this time I cannot even begin to write a tribute to my Mom but the words from this letter best capture my love and my tender feelings for the most wonderful woman in the world, someone I know simply as Mom.

What can I say about my Mom? There are not words to adequately describe how I feel for you and how I love you. But I will do my best. Well, here goes… Growing up I always knew that you were there for me no matter what. If I was hurt or sick or just needed someone to talk to, you were always there for me with comforting words, healing hands and a willingness to listen to things both trivial and eternal in nature. Although going through the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for Crohn’s disease was excruciatingly painful and tried me to my very core, I would not change a thing if I was able to go back in time. I would do it all again without hesitation because this disease changed the course of my life and my relationship with you for the better. It afforded me countless special moments and memories with you that never would have occurred otherwise. I consider these most precious experiences to be tender mercies from the Lord because they gave me the faith and inspiration to keep on going. I knew that my mother loved me and would be there for me and that was enough.
At a time when most teenagers are rebelling and seeking independence from their parents, I was drawing closer to mine, especially you. You were always so giving with your love and with your time. I remember many instances when you would stay up all night with me during a flare up. You would hold my hand, rub my stomach and comfort me as only you could. Then, on little or no sleep you would be the mom to the “little people” who loved and adored you so much. After the babysitting kids were gone it was time to make dinner, help me and the other kids with our homework and tidy the house. I truly don’t know how you did it all. You were, are, and will always be Superwoman to me. You would serve and give of your time, talents, energy, and love to everyone never asking for anything in return, and rarely having a moment to yourself.
As I have become older my admiration and love for you has only grown. You have always been the center of the family, our core, our heart. I have always known that I had the BEST Mother in the whole world but you are much more than that, you are my dearest friend. I know that I can turn to you when I need someone to talk with, someone to cry with or someone to laugh with. When Ben and I were married it was a difficult for me to leave you. I had always had you near and it was a difficult transition. However, that transition was made easier since I worked nearby and was able to spend a few hours almost every day together. That really helped me adjust to be married and not living in my childhood home. Marrying Ben and moving to Van Nuys was the first time I ever lived anywhere else but my home with you. It was at that point that I realized just how little I knew about being the homemaker. I often had helped you in the kitchen but I had never made dinner all by myself or planned and prepared a meal for guests. I didn’t know what to do when Ben and I came down with various bizarre medical conditions. But you were there with comfort and guidance to walk me through any and every situation. I knew that I could call you and ask you any question without feeling ignorant or embarrassed. You were and are my How-To book.
Mom, you are the bravest person I know. I am amazed at what you endure and how you endure it. You never complain but maintain a positive attitude no matter what is thrown your way. I have so much to learn from you! Your life has been one devoted to serving, uplifting and helping others. In short, your life has been the life of a true Saint, a selfless Saint. You have embodied and exemplified a life full of Christ’s love, charity. I cherish our memories together and commit to following your example of love and service, for I know that by following your example I will be following the example of the Master. How wonderful it is to have the knowledge and sweet assurance of the eternal nature of families. I know that whatever happens on this earth, we will one day have a glorious reunion in our Father’s home above never to be separated again.
Love Eternally,
Esther
Christmas 2007
6 comments:
How beautiful, Esther! I cried through the whole thing. It's mothers like yours that make the rest of us feel completely inadequate and that we need to step it up a little to even come close to parenting our children like she did. Thank you for sharing what must be very hard for you. My heart is with you, and I hope you know how very much I love you.
Wow, I wish I could have met her. She sounds like a wonderful person.
You are as beautiful as your mother... inside and out! I can't believe how much you look alike. It's remarkable! Thank you for an inspirational letter - it makes me want to write one to my mom today. Try to enjoy the memories of her this week as you prepare to honor her. Love you!
Esther you have left me speechless and in tears. I did not know your mother well, but mostly through your words. She does sound wonderful in every way. Stay strong and remember you have a big family with open arms any time you need any of us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories.
Love You! :)
Esther: Accept our condolences as well. It is a difficult, bitter-sweet time. It sounds like her exemplary life will be a blessing to you and your children. God bless you all.
My sweet Esther. I want to wrap my arms around you and just love you through this difficult time. Your Mom is an amazing woman who has made me pause at her strength. What a great example she has been to all that have met her. You my dear, are cut from the same silk fabric. I have watched you work through your own difficulties with a beautiful smile on your face. Please know that you are loved so much by Bill and I. We will be there on Friday to give our support to you and your family.
Post a Comment