Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wedding Ring

Saturday I saw the head Dr. of the Dermatology department about all of my skin infections that I have had for years and the doctor was great. Ben even liked him and that is saying a lot. There I found out that I have developed an allergy to my wedding/engagement rings. I had no idea that this could happen. I have been wearing my rings for a few years now and then all of a sudden my finger has tiny blisters all over it. I thought that maybe it was from all the heat. I would let my finger heal and then I would put it back on and it would do it again. He said that it was most likely the nickel in the white gold bands that I am allergic to. I was devastated when I heard that. I love my rings and it has been killing me not being able to wear them. I feel like something is missing when I don't have it on. I can't even wear then on a chain around my neck. I broke out in a rash and my neck started to burn. (Sometimes I really feel like a freak). Ben and I are going to go to the jewelers to see if there is something that we can do. I do not want a new ring. I want my ring. These rings are my most precious possessions.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Tom had an idea about your ring. What if I put a layer of my UV gel on it (what I use for Rock Star Toes) and cure it in the UV light? It's clear and maybe if it's just on the inside where it touched your skin, it might provide a barrier. Dentists use it in your mouth, and so far your toes haven't bothered you having it on. Just a thought. You can always have your diamonds re-set in a platinum setting (no nickel)and have it made to look like your current ring, so it's almost the same. I'm so sorry! Totally unfair for you.

Unknown said...

oh that's so sad! I can't wear any nickle in my earrings or I get rashes, but to not be able to wear my ring would be horrible. I hope you find a solution soon.